Occupational therapists provide therapy for patients who are injured, ill or disabled so they may perform their day-to-day activities. Becoming an occupational therapist requires specific education and training. Learn about the best occupational therapist schools in Wisconsin and how to become an occupational therapist in Wisconsin.
List of Elite Programs in Wisconsin
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
To become an occupation therapist, you must complete an occupational therapy training program that’s accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. Most occupational therapists have a master’s degree, although some may have a doctoral degree in occupational therapy. These programs take from two to three years to complete if you already have a bachelor’s degree. There are also weekend and evening classes aspiring therapists may take. National Center for Education Statistics indicates that there are about five accredited occupational therapy schools in Wisconsin.
Occupational Therapy Certification in Wisconsin
Occupational therapists are required to be licensed in all states including Wisconsin. To get an occupational therapy license, you must pass the occupational therapy certification exam through the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapists. Upon passing the test, you can use the title of Occupational Therapist Registered. Prerequisites for the occupational test are completing a formal occupational therapy program and meeting the fieldwork requirements. Continuing education is also required to maintain the certification. These may be earned by completing occupational therapy classes online. With advanced education and training, you can also obtain specialty certifications through the American Occupational Therapy Association.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Wisconsin
Occupational therapist working in Wisconsin earned a mean annual wage of $67,380 as of May 2013, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. These wages were slightly below the national average of $77,890. However, wages fluctuate throughout the state. Salary.com reported that in December 2014 occupational therapists in Janesville earned an annual average wage of $80,882 while those in Appleton and Milwaukee earned $76,396 and $75,439 respectively.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in Wisconsin
Below are some of the Wisconsin schools that offer occupational therapy programs. These schools may offer undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- Bachelor/Master combined program – 28 months – Mount Mary University – Milwaukee, WI
- Master degree Occupational Therapist program – 2 years – Mount Mary University – Milwaukee
- Master degree in Occupational Therapy – 3 years – University of Wisconsin – La Crosse, WI
- Bachelor degree in Occupational Studies – 4 years – University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI
- Master degree in Occupational Therapy – 2 Years – University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI
- Therapeutic Recreation Certificate – 1 year – University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI
- Master of Occupational Therapy – 2 ½ years – Concordia University – Mequon, WI
- Doctorate in Occupational Therapy – 2 years (primarily online) Concordia University – Mequon, WI