Occupational therapy is a discipline in the health care field that helps individuals regain some, if not all of their mobility, allowing them to function more freely to accomplish daily tasks such as washing dishes, bathing, combing their hair and sometimes return to a completely normal life after injuries and illnesses. Occupational therapy also allows individuals who suffer from mental disabilities to learn cognitive skills to become more independent, relying less on others to assist them in their day-to-day routine.
List of Elite Programs in Virginia Beach, VA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Find an Accredited Occupational Therapy School in Virginia Beach, VA
The Virginia Board of Medicine’s Occupational Therapy Advisory Board oversees the requirements, education and licensing for occupational therapy careers, such as occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and aides. The Board requires attending an educational program approved by the Board. Virginia has seven programs throughout the state for those interested in careers related to occupational therapy.
While some occupational therapy occupations require a degree, occupational therapy aides generally only require occupational therapy certificate. Some of these programs can be done online or through community colleges. Other certifications highly recommended for occupational therapy aides include CPR or BLS (basic life support) certification. Occupational therapists and assistants can also specialize in a specific area of occupational therapy by receiving certification from the American Occupational Therapy Association.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Virginia Beach, VA
The Virginia Beach metropolitan area employed over 460 occupational therapists and 110 occupational therapy assistants in 2013, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Virginia Beach occupational therapists earned an annual median wage of $75,240. Occupational therapy assistants earned an annual median wage of $54,160, according the Bureau. For occupational therapists, salaries ranged from $50,280 to $100,110 per year, including the Bureau’s 10th through 90th percentiles. Occupational therapy assistants earned salaries ranging from $28,510 to $73,040 per year.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in Virginia
Educational programs in Virginia include Jefferson College of Health Sciences, J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College, James Madison University, Shenandoah University, Community College and Virginia Commonwealth University. Programs range from a certificate to a doctorate degree in occupational therapy.