An occupational therapist helps treat injured and disabled individuals by guiding them through everyday activities. They help patients recover skills that allow them to perform regular activities of daily living and re-gain their independence. Occupational therapists work in hospitals, nursing homes and physician’s offices. The job is not a desk job- most therapists spend long hours on their feet and may have to lift or support patients.
List of Elite Programs in Utah
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
- And more...
In order to work as an occupational therapist in Utah, first you must graduate from an accredited school with a Master’s degree in occupational therapy. Next, you have to complete six months of clinical practice under the supervision of a licensed occupational therapist. After completing your clinical practice, you need to pass an exam offered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy in order to become a certified occupational therapist. The final step is to become licensed to work in Utah. The licensing process is straightforward and involves simply demonstrating that you have completed all of the above steps satisfactorily. An application needs to be submitted and a small fee paid. A criminal background check is part of the licensing process.
How to Find an Accredited School in Utah
Finding an accredited school in Utah is easy- there is only one. The University of Utah, located near Salt Lake City, is the only school in the state of Utah that offers the necessary educational requirements for becoming an occupational therapist.
The college courses included in an occupational therapy program cover such as areas as anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics and principles of occupational therapy methods.
Who Offers Certification in Utah?
Certification in occupational therapy is regulated by a national agency, the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. Utah requires a 70% or greater score on the certification exam in order to become licensed.
What is a Typical Salary for an Occupational Therapist in Utah?
The median salary for an occupational therapist in 2010 was $72,320, which works out to about $35 per hour.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in Utah
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City