Deciding which vocational path to follow is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. This is so for numerous reasons, including the fact that selecting a viable career path is oftentimes the key to socioeconomic mobility and personal happiness. With that idea in mind, Texas residents who have chosen to work within the occupational therapy sector need to gather pertinent, current information regarding how to become an occupational therapist. To gain more information regarding educational and licensing requirements as well as how much money you can expect to earn as a Texas-based occupational therapist, review the data provided below:
List of Elite Programs in Texas
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Aspiring occupational therapists who reside in Texas should be sure to select an occupational therapy program that is accredited. Once you have identified a learning institution that has conformed to this requirement, call the school and request to speak with an admissions representative or student advisor who can provide you detailed information regarding the school. After researching several schools, you should be able to critically examine all of the pertinent information and subsequently make an informed decision regarding which college you should attend.
Occupational Therapy Certification in Texas
There are several steps you must follow in order to gain occupational therapist certification in the state of Texas. First, you need to obtain a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the field of occupational therapy from a school that has obtained certification from the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or an American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA.) You must also complete a minimum of 6 months of work-related experience through an internship or under the instruction of a licensed occupational therapist. You are also required to pass the Texas Jurisprudence Examination and the NBCOT OTR exam.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Texas
An occupational therapist who works in the state of Texas will typically earn about $84,000 each year. At the same time, an occupational therapy assistant who resides in the state can expect to bring in about $58,000.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in Texas
There are several occupational therapy colleges in Texas you can attend. They include:
- Amarillo College
- Baylor University
- Lubbock Christian University
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- Texas Woman’s University
- The University of Texas at El Paso
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio