Occupational therapists rehabilitate patients, along with other health care professional, such as physicians, surgeons, speech and physical therapists. Through many specialized activities, an occupational therapist’s goal is to help patients gain or regain their ability to live active lives and perform work functions. This career can be very rewarding. If you’re interested in how to become a occupational therapist in South Carolina, the state has specific requirements, including obtaining a license.
List of Elite Programs in South Carolina
- Understand the Human Experience with a Psychology Degree from Saint Leo University!
- Whether you're interested in general psychology or clinical practices, earn your Psychology degree from one of the top-ranked Universities in Florida!
- Receive an Accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in any of our multiple Psychology programs from Saint Leo University!
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Psychology degree today!
- BA: Psychology - Clinical/Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
- And more...
The South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy requires a master’s degree and to be registered, often referred to as licensed, to practice professionally. The Board also requires attending an occupational therapy school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. Occupational therapy training must also include 6 months of supervised work experience approved by the school. After successful completion of education and supervised field work, you become eligible to take the national examination administered by the National Board for Certification of Occupational Therapists. Passing the examination allows you to apply for a license from the Board.
Occupational Therapy Certification in South Carolina
Occupational therapists can also obtain certification in specialized disciplines of the occupation, which can increase job opportunities. Some employers may require certification to work with different patient types, such as the elderly, small children and for school programs. The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy offers several certifications recognized by employers.
Salaries for Occupational Therapists in South Carolina
Occupational therapy jobs will continue to grow through 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. About 1,350 occupational therapists were employed in South Carolina in 2013. In South Carolina, the average salary was $77,290 or $37.16 per hour in 2013.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in South Carolina
Only one school in South Carolina offer an accredited training program, which is the Medical University of South Carolina in Charlestown. For continuing education, the South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy allows several types of continuing education, including occupational therapy classes online. Other approved continuing education courses include attending workshops, conferences and presenting information regarding occupational therapy to groups such as students, peers and the community.