Occupational therapists rehabilitate patients, along with other health care professional, such as physicians, surgeons, speech and physical therapists. Through many specialized activities, an occupational therapist’s goal is to help patients gain or regain their ability to live active lives and perform work functions. This career can be very rewarding. If you’re interested in how to become a occupational therapist in South Carolina, the state has specific requirements, including obtaining a license.
List of Elite Programs in South Carolina
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy requires a master’s degree and to be registered, often referred to as licensed, to practice professionally. The Board also requires attending an occupational therapy school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. Occupational therapy training must also include 6 months of supervised work experience approved by the school. After successful completion of education and supervised field work, you become eligible to take the national examination administered by the National Board for Certification of Occupational Therapists. Passing the examination allows you to apply for a license from the Board.
Occupational Therapy Certification in South Carolina
Occupational therapists can also obtain certification in specialized disciplines of the occupation, which can increase job opportunities. Some employers may require certification to work with different patient types, such as the elderly, small children and for school programs. The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy offers several certifications recognized by employers.
Salaries for Occupational Therapists in South Carolina
Occupational therapy jobs will continue to grow through 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. About 1,350 occupational therapists were employed in South Carolina in 2013. In South Carolina, the average salary was $77,290 or $37.16 per hour in 2013.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in South Carolina
Only one school in South Carolina offer an accredited training program, which is the Medical University of South Carolina in Charlestown. For continuing education, the South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy allows several types of continuing education, including occupational therapy classes online. Other approved continuing education courses include attending workshops, conferences and presenting information regarding occupational therapy to groups such as students, peers and the community.