Occupational therapists treat clients to alleviate pain and swelling around injury or surgical sites. The results improve flexibility, muscle tone and strength; increase and maintain mobility; and encourage faster recovery so patients can resume daily activities. To acquire the necessary credentials to practice occupational therapy in California, candidates complete mandatory complete approved curricula for their degree level and pass appropriate state licensing exams.
List of Elite Programs in San Diego
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Occupational therapy training in the San Diego area is accredited by professional groups that ensure OT curricula falls in line with the profession’s standards and protocols for patient care. Accreditation is typically granted by one or more of these organizations:
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Senior College and University Commission
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education of the American Occupational Therapy Association
Aspiring OT candidates can locate a program’s accreditation status by checking school or agency websites.
Occupational Therapy Certification in San Diego
After completing an OT degree, candidates must pass a national certification exam for state licensure administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. Master’s degree holders who pass the exam are additionally granted Occupational Therapist Registered status. OT certifications are maintained via continuing education opportunities leading to license renewal every two years.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in San Diego
Salary expectations in San Diego are generally commensurate with degree level and experience. Earnings for registered occupational therapists are on par with the state’s median of $58,950 while occupational therapy assistants earn about $39,500. Other factors affecting salary include geographical location and type of job setting.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in San Diego
The San Diego area offers accredited OT degrees at all levels from several post-secondary institutions, including:
- University of St.Augustine, San Marcos;
- Santa Ana College, Santa Ana;
- Loma Linda University, Loma Linda;
- Grossmont College, El Cajon;
- California State University-Dominguez Hills, Carson.
These institutions are within commuting distance of San Diego and offer cutting-edge instruction based on 21st century healthcare methods and protocols for the OT profession. Graduates can expect to find work in a number of diverse settings including hospitals, rehabilitation groups, public health clinics, residential care programs, athletic facilities, senior care centers, home health agencies and school systems.