Career opportunities in occupational therapy are growing quickly, particularly with newly expanded access to health care and the aging population of baby boomers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that jobs for occupational therapists will expand 29 percent in the next 10 years, and positions for occupational therapy assistants will increase by 41 percent. Students interested in joining Sacramento’s 440 occupational therapists and 120 occupational therapy assistants must first enroll in an occupational therapy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. A list of approved occupational therapy colleges with master’s degree and doctoral degree programs is available through the American Occupational Therapy Association.
List of Elite Programs in Sacrameto
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
To qualify for occupational therapy licenses in California, students need to take occupational therapy classes at an approved program, complete the relevant occupational therapy degree provisions, perform required occupational therapy training in the field and earn a passing score on the national occupational therapy test. The exam is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, or NBCOT. Once all of the educational and testing provisions are met, students can apply for a license through the State of California’s Board of Occupational Therapy.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Sacramento
From hospitals and physician offices to nursing homes and home health services, occupational therapists and assistants work in a variety of local settings. As of May 2013, Sacramento-area occupational therapists earned a mean wage of $74,540, with the top 10 percent earning $115, 260. The state mean salary is $89,620, and the national mean salary is $77,890. Occupational therapy assistants in the region earn a salary of $61,660, while the mean state salary is $66,020 and the national salary is $55,250.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in California
Private master’s degree occupational therapy schools include Samuel Merritt University, Dominican University, University of Southern California, Loma Linda University and University of St. Augusting for Health Sciences, California Campus. The only public occupational therapy university offering a master’s degree program is California State University, Dominguez Hills. For assistant-level education, students have the local occupational therapy college option of Sacramento City College. Elsewhere in the state, Grossmont and Santa Ana colleges are two community college options. Stanbridge College is the only private institution to offer occupational therapy courses for assistants.