Career opportunities in occupational therapy are growing quickly, particularly with newly expanded access to health care and the aging population of baby boomers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that jobs for occupational therapists will expand 29 percent in the next 10 years, and positions for occupational therapy assistants will increase by 41 percent. Students interested in joining Sacramento’s 440 occupational therapists and 120 occupational therapy assistants must first enroll in an occupational therapy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. A list of approved occupational therapy colleges with master’s degree and doctoral degree programs is available through the American Occupational Therapy Association.
List of Elite Programs in Sacrameto
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
To qualify for occupational therapy licenses in California, students need to take occupational therapy classes at an approved program, complete the relevant occupational therapy degree provisions, perform required occupational therapy training in the field and earn a passing score on the national occupational therapy test. The exam is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, or NBCOT. Once all of the educational and testing provisions are met, students can apply for a license through the State of California’s Board of Occupational Therapy.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Sacramento
From hospitals and physician offices to nursing homes and home health services, occupational therapists and assistants work in a variety of local settings. As of May 2013, Sacramento-area occupational therapists earned a mean wage of $74,540, with the top 10 percent earning $115, 260. The state mean salary is $89,620, and the national mean salary is $77,890. Occupational therapy assistants in the region earn a salary of $61,660, while the mean state salary is $66,020 and the national salary is $55,250.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in California
Private master’s degree occupational therapy schools include Samuel Merritt University, Dominican University, University of Southern California, Loma Linda University and University of St. Augusting for Health Sciences, California Campus. The only public occupational therapy university offering a master’s degree program is California State University, Dominguez Hills. For assistant-level education, students have the local occupational therapy college option of Sacramento City College. Elsewhere in the state, Grossmont and Santa Ana colleges are two community college options. Stanbridge College is the only private institution to offer occupational therapy courses for assistants.