Occupational Therapists help injured, ill, or disabled patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily living and working. They can work with a variety of patients including children, the elderly, patients with permanent disabilities, patients who have undergone surgery, or patients with mental health issues.
List of Elite Programs in Memphis,TN
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Find Accredited Occupational Therapy Schools in Memphis, TN
Occupational Therapists must complete at least a master’s degree in occupational therapy. Admission to graduate programs usually requires a bachelor’s degree with specific coursework and many programs also require applicants to have worked or volunteered in an occupational therapy setting.
Schools are accredited through the American Occupational Therapy Association. Master’s programs generally take 2-3 years to complete, while doctoral programs take about 3 years. Some schools may offer a dual-degree program in which the student earns a bachelor’s and master’s degree in 5 years. Part-time programs are also available.
The following schools in Memphis offer accredited master’s level occupational therapy programs: University of Tennessee Health Science Center. There are no schools in Memphis currently offering doctoral-level programs in occupational therapy.
All states require an occupational therapist to pass the national examination administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapists (NBCOT). Therapist must pass this exam to become a Registered Occupational Therapist (OTR). The American Occupational Therapy Association also has a number of additional certifications for those therapists that want to demonstrate an advanced knowledge in a specialty area such as, pediatrics, mental health, or low vision.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Memphis, TN
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports an annual mean wage of $77,530 in Tennessee and an annual mean wage of $72,660 in Memphis (the mean wage is the wage at which half the workers make more than that amount and half make less). Salaries vary throughout the state. Salaries for occupational therapists working at nursing care facilities and home health care services are slightly higher, followed by office of physical, occupational, and speech therapists, hospitals, and elementary and secondary schools.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in TN
The following Tennessee schools offer master-level programs in occupational therapy: Belmont University, Milligan College, Tennessee State University, and University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
Belmont University is the only school in the state offering doctoral-level programs for occupational therapy.
The following schools in Tennessee offer programs for occupational therapy assistants: Concorde Career College – Memphis, Nashville State Community College, and Roane State Community College.