Texas Woman’s University offers a Master of Occupational Therapy curriculum at the school’s Houston campus. The occupational therapy classes require 28 months of full-time enrollment to complete. The curriculum includes neuroscience, evaluation processes and occupational assessment. Students will learn through traditional classes and through clinical work that involves patient interaction. All of the required courses must be completed before an occupational therapist can obtain a certification from the state of Texas.
List of Elite Programs in Houston
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
An occupational therapist must obtain a license from the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners. To apply for licensure, an occupational therapist must submit an application and pay application fees. An open book exam covering the regulations of practicing occupational therapy in Texas must be passed, as well as a national examination. After an applicant has successfully completed both exams and the application has been approved, the occupational therapist license is granted. This certification allows the occupational therapist to legally work in the state of Texas and must be renewed upon expiration.
Salaries for Occupational Therapy Jobs in Houston
Becoming an occupational therapist can be lucrative. The Bureau of Labor Statistics cited the annual salary for an occupational therapist in Texas as $86,550 recently. An individual occupational therapist’s salary may vary due to differences in employers or work schedules. Employers such as hospitals or clinics often offer salary incentives for occupational therapists who are willing to work evenings, weekends or holidays. Clinics with particularly high workloads may also offer extra pay.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in Houston
Texas Woman’s University currently offers the only fully accredited Master of Occupational Therapy program in Houston. The program maintains an accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education. As part of the curriculum, students are expected to complete fieldwork assignments that provide the opportunity for learning in a clinical environment. At least one of these fieldwork assignments will be completed outside of the Houston area. Other clinical sites in other cities or states are also often available for students who want to gain experience in many settings.