Occupational therapy careers assist individuals who suffer from injuries, mental illness and disabilities that render them unable to perform everyday tasks. This careers allows those individuals to increase their motor and physical skills, allowing them to care for themselves or even find work, becoming a productive member of society. Occupational therapy careers generally require one of two educational paths: an associate’s degree in occupational therapy to become an occupational therapy assistant or a master’s degree in occupational therapy to become an occupational therapist.
List of Elite Programs in Albuquerque, NM
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Find an Accredited Occupational Therapy School in Albuquerque, NM
In New Mexico, the Board of Examiners for Occupational Therapy oversees the education and licensing of occupational therapists in the state. The Board requires attending an accredited training program to become an occupational therapist or assistant, verification of supervised training or employment, a jurisprudence examination and explanation of any criminal convictions. It also requires continuing education to maintain licensure in New Mexico. Among three schools in New Mexico that offer occupational therapy programs, two offer an associate’s degree and one offers a master’s degree.
Although certification is not required after passing the national exam and obtaining a license, some occupational therapy professionals obtain specialty certification for specific types of occupational therapy and patients. Specialty certification areas include gerontology, mental illness, small children therapy under the age of five, and physical rehabilitation.
Salaries for Physical Therapists in Albuquerque, NM
Occupational therapists in Albuquerque earn an average salary of $67,620 per year or $32.51 hour. Assistants earned an average salary of $33,890 per year or $16.29 per hour, according the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2013. Job opportunities are expected to increase over the next several years for both occupations. The predicted increase results from a large aging population, who are most likely to need occupational therapy after crippling injuries, surgeries and other medical conditions related to aging.
List of Occupational Therapy Programs in New Mexico
Accredited educational programs in New Mexico include the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, which offers a master’s degree in occupational therapy. Associate’s degrees are offered by Eastern New Mexico University in Roswell and Western New Mexico University in Silver City.